Yes. Pouch lithium battery is well kown for its LIGHTER weight, BETTER safety performance, LARGER lithium battery capacity and SMALLER internal resistance.
At present, if you have other requirement, you can consider pouch batteries. If you do not have weight, space and cost requirements, cylindrical is the optimal choice to save your money and time.
No, it rarely swell. Because its shell is made by steel or alloy material which is very hard, it can withstand high gas pressure and voltage. Thus cylindrical lithium battery will not swell. While pouch battery has possibility to swell.
The following are functions of battery shell
- Suppress battery polarization
- Reduces thermal effects
- Improves magnification performance
- Reduce the internal resistance of the battery
- Significantly reduce the dynamic internal resistance of the cycle process
- Improves consistency and increases the cycle life of the battery
- Improve the adhesion of the active substance to the collector fluid
- Reduce the manufacturing cost of the pole piece
- Protects the collector fluid from being corroded by the electrolyte
- Improve the high and low temperature properties of lithium batteries
- Improve the processing properties of lithium iron phosphate and lithium titanate materials.
1.The lightweight space is large, because the density is 1/3 of steel；
2.Good thermal conductivity,5 times of steel’s；
3.Absorbs twice as much energy per unit weight as steel；
4.Good extension performance；
5.Strong plasticity, good weld-ability, and good productivity；
6.Good casting performance, can be processed into different shapes；
7.Corrosion-resistant, easy to recycle and regenerate
From the chart below, we can easily gain:
- Pouch battery is formed by stacking. Whie the other two are formed by wounding
- Cylindrical battery is the hardest one among these three kinds of lithium cell
- Pouch battery is soft.
- Cylindrical battery is poor in heat management. While the other two are good.
- Pouch lithium ion battery has the highest specific energy among them.
- Prismatic lithium cell has the highest energy density among them.